During an approved human research activity, you may need to update or vary how you're conducting it. Any changes have to be approved by the Office of Research Ethics and Integrity before you implement them.
If you're only proposing a minor change (e.g. additional research team members, changes to the participant information sheet, additional sites/participant group), submit a variation request using the online form below. You'll usually receive an approval email within 2 weeks. The ethics reviewer may contact you with questions before approval can be granted.
For projects that have received ethical approval from another HREC (admin reviews):
- Variations must be submitted to the lead HREC for review and approval and records maintained by the research team.
- If your project is a TGA-regulated clinical trial you must also lodge all approved documentation with OREI (email your approved documentation to email@example.com).
Do not implement variations until you have formal approval from the Research Ethics Advisory Team.
Submitting a minor variation request
- Complete and submit the variation request form. You and the chief investigator will each receive a confirmation email.
- Reply to this email and attach:
- an updated version of your approved application, with Track Changes active in Microsoft Word to highlight your updates
- any relevant amended documentation, like a reworded Participant Information Sheet and Consent Form.
Your variation request is then complete and will be forwarded for approval.
IMPORTANT: Please complete this variation request using Internet Explorer or Chrome. There are some noted issues with Firefox and Safari.
Fields marked * must be completed